Inspo for your weekend ahead <3
All images sourced from pinterest/tumblr/instagram
Inspo for your weekend ahead <3
All images sourced from pinterest/tumblr/instagram
So there has been an overwhelming amount of DM’s over on IG this week about all the looks I’ve been wearing whilst in Brisbane! So I thought I may as well create a little blog post for you all with all the direct links to my looks! I hope you guys find this super helpful! Let me know if you require the link to anything else that I haven’t mentioned below
Good Afternoon Everyone!
This week we are in Brisbane shooting heaps of exciting content with a few Australian brands. We have been lucky enough to stay at the beautiful Calile Hotel – which is all kinds of amazing. The colours/pool area/rooms/overall vibes are literally insane and the attention to detail on every element of the design and interior is really something you have to see for yourself! Anyways, here are a few images from our stay so far… heaps more to come! I am documenting everything on my IG stories/IG and soon to be VLOG so make sure you’re following along there for regular updates!
Since launching my presets a couple of days ago, so many of you have asked me a million and one questions about my photography/instagram/style and everything in between! So I thought it best to collate all the most common Q&As for everyone to read here and hopefully I can help all of you who may be interested this way and not just the ones who reach out to me… xxx
WHO TAKES YOUR PHOTOS?
SO – it is a combination of a few people – my mum (primary photographer), my brother (if he has to), my boyfriend (if we are travelling/at an event together – he has a career of his own so isn’t always free to help out), my two blog friends Jacquie & Kristy (also known as gal pals and total babes) and lastly ME! I often shoot imagery myself with either a tripod or selfie style!
WHAT CAMERA DO YOU USE TO TAKE YOUR PHOTOS?
1. Nikon D5200 body with Sigma lens (f 1.8 , 18-35mm)
2. iPhone X
3. Film Camera (Canon – super vintage camera that I found in my mums cupboard)
4. Polariod camera – fuji film
HOW DO YOU CHOOSE LOCATIONS TO SHOOT?
This is a super difficult question and something that I still always struggle with. Trying to find nice aesthetically pleasing locations to shoot can be tough and because of this I usually return to similar locations again and again to shoot as I love them so figure I may as well stick with them. It is easier when travelling and doing lots of things as you feel inspired by what is around you but on days/weeks when I am just at home in Melbourne, trying to create content with always different locations is virtually impossible. I would probably recommend you seek out cool cafes/bars/restaurants to shoot as well as cool sites on the streets (particularly if you live in a super ‘instagrammable’ city).
TIPS ON GROWING YOUR INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT?
I think i’ll probably talk more in depth about this at another point in time as there is just so much to say – but mainly and most importantly – consistent posting, constantly engage with audience & follow likeminded accounts. But most importantly, just keep creating cool content!
HOW DID YOU FIND YOUR PERSONAL STYLE?
Just a lot of trial and error! Don’t be disheartened if it does not come naturally or quickly, just enjoy the journey, try new things and eventually you will find yourself and your style will feel totally organic and natural to you.
HOW DO YOU EDIT YOUR IMAGES?
I typically use a combination of VSCOCam/Light room & After light but now that I have launched my presets with light room, I just use these! There are 8 choices, so I always find at least one filter that will suit the image perfectly and create the vibe I am after.
HOW DO I CREATE A FEED LIKE YOURS?
Firstly, you don’t want to create a feed like mine, as my feed already exists! So there is no point creating the exact same thing if you want to be well respected for your own personal style and vision – but to create a unique, interesting and engaging feed that is specific to you – you need to determine a style and vibe that comes naturally and feels natural for you! As mentioned in yesterdays post already – do not copy or attempt to replicate the feed/style of others – it will honestly get you no where and you will end up finding that you are far more successful if you just create your own style.
OKAY – THAT IS ALL FOR NOW! I HOPE THIS WAS SUPER OR EVEN A LITTLE BIT HELPFUL. KEEP DM-ING/EMAILING/MESSAGING ME YOUR QUESTIONS AND I WILL GET BACK TO YOU WHENEVER I CAN!
I WILL WORK ON A MORE DETAILED BLOG POST THAT COVERS ALL OF THIS AND MORE IN THE FUTURE, BUT I FEEL LIKE THIS IS HOPEFULLY A GOOD START!
Lots of love, J xxxx
After an overwhelming response on my Instagram last night – I thought I best share my photo tips here as well so that you can easily read/re-read them whenever you like!
So without further ado – here is everything I spoke about on my IG stories – just laid out in a slightly easier to follow way…xxx
1. First things first each image on my Instagram/blog took at least 200 attempts to perfect… I am a major perfectionist and getting a shot that I am happy with can take quite some time, so don’t ever feel bad if you can’t get it right on the first go! Just make sure you have a super patient photographer or better yet – shoot self portrait!
2.Lighting is everything! I only shoot in the afternoon/evening, as I find morning light is usually too harsh unless it is an overcast day, then I will shoot whenever! The middle of the day lighting usually casts really bad shadows on your face and makes you look like you have different facial features than what you may actually have.
3. THE ANGLE IS EVERYTHING – I usually shoot with my photographer standing up (if I am sitting down) or at eye level if I am standing up. I know a lot of people and influencers especially shoot from a really low angle to make themselves appear taller but personally, I find this is not flattering on my face/body – so I instead shoot directly in front or over the top (but just a bit, too much looks weird!)
4. When shooting fashion looks/outfits make sure you really really LOVE your look. This is so important for your confidence and will entail get you a much better shot! If you are not vibing your look, chances are you won’t be happy with the photo and will end up getting really annoyed at yourself/your photographer/your significant other/whoever else you have lulled into shooting for you and it’ll just be bad for everyone involved!
5. ALWAYS snap some pics before you leave the house! Make sure the look photographs well, sometimes things look different to how they look in the mirror, so don’t wait until you’re at your location – it is too late then!
6. SEEK INSPIRATION BEFORE YOU SHOOT! This is probably one of my number one tips for shooting fashion looks. Always have a vision for the kind of imagery you want to create and know exactly what vibe you want to achieve prior to shooting! This does not mean copy anyone else or try and replicate someone else’s vibe, because in the long run – that is never going to work and you’ll never be respected for your own personal style and vision – BUT seeking inspiration from social media, movies, books, people on the street – ANYTHING will always help.
As you guys may already know – I love to create mood boards at the beginning of each week (I always post them on my stories on Sunday night!) It helps inspire me for the week ahead and gives me direction. I’ve been doing this for over a year now and I find it really helps me, but you need to find whatever works for you!
BE PATIENT/ENJOY THE JOURNEY
7. Just have fun with it! It is so easy to get caught up on what is your vibe/what do you like/what’s your personal style and the whole thing becomes far too overwhelming, instead – just try heaps of different things! Play around with looks/different types of photography/ interesting outfits & eventually you’ll find an aesthetic which comes totally natural and organic to you! It may take some time, even years – but do not rush the creative process. Do not start copying someone else just because you can’t be bothered to put in the time/patience for your own personal style to develop – just go with the flow and enjoy the creative journey!
LEARN HOW TO EDIT
8. Last but certainly not least – learn how to filter/edit your images so that you LOVE them. Editing images is such an important part of the process and even if all you want to do is make a few tweaks, it is super important to know how to do so! I recently released my own presets/filters in collaboration with SCRUNCH so if you don’t know where to even begin… maybe these filters will help you a bit! Check them out HERE
ANYWAYS – I really, really hope this has helped some of you in some way, shape or form! Feel free to leave me any more questions you may have here or DM me on Instagram
Lots of love, J xxx
HEY everyone! Quick little post to share with you the details from this look!
I literally lived in this look last week. I am obsessed with this Glassons singlet and literally wear it all the time. I got it from their recent collection at their Melbourne Central store. ANDD don’t even get me started on this vintage Dior saddle bag. It is literally ALL the things & some! My jeans are vintage Levis, which I have been wearing for years and years – something you may already know if you’ve been following me for years and years… and the belt is MANGO, new season and it is amazing and goes with everything.
Anyways, I hope everyone is having a wonderful week!
The premium and unique accomodation was simply divine and acted as the perfect spot for a little romantic beach getaway. We had the pleasure of staying in the Garden Room, which boasted a lavish living space, king size bed and balcony to match. The bathroom was covered in Australian made, Biology skincare and haircare amenities, which acted as the perfect post-beach products during our stay! Breakfast was served at the hotel restaurant and the view of the beach from breakfast was just a bit too good to be true!
The executive suite hotel room was simply divine. With an almost overwhelming amount of space, we didn’t know what area we should relax in first! The room was fitted out with beautiful chic tonal furniture and a roomy balcony for afternoon drinks during sundown. The bedroom area had moody lighting and acted as the perfect home away from home. The bathroom was filled with a huge selection of Kevin Murphy vanity products. From their amazing angel hair wash and rinse to body lotions and washes. It is safe to say that we were very well looked after!
During my stay I also got to experience an amazing styling session at Wink Hair Salon with Kevin Murphy products. The hair stylist spent time with me deciding how best to style my hair for the day and explained each and every product she was using on my hair. I loved how patient she was and by the end of the experience, I left totally convinced that I simply must buy all the products in order to have a good hair day – everyday!
I am currently running a competition through my Instagram where you can win this exact experience too! So make sure you enter if you are interested!
As you all know, I don’t travel far without my Lipault travel bags and luggage and my recent trip to Bangkok was no really exception. This time I was travelling with their latest JPG x Lipault collection. The two pieces I took with me were their Tote bag and 55cm Spinner suitcase. I got both pieces in the black pinstripe style, which I particularly love as it goes with literally any outfit I am wearing.
The collection has a real dark and moody feel to it. It is much edgier than some of the other pieces available from Lipault, particularly due to the design and colours available in the range. The two main designs available in the collection are the pinstripe design, which comes in black or brown and the marbling effect that comes on some of the suitcases. There are also some great black all leather pieces available too.
I found the suitcase and tote bag super easy to travel with – they were both super lightweight and great for international travel. I particularly loved how much room was available in the tote bag. In my tote bag I stored all my valuables and items that are most likely to break in transit such as like laptop, cameras and of course… sweets treats for the 9 hour plane ride.
I have another quick trip coming up tomorrow to Sydney for work and I will again be travelling with all my favourite Lipault products. When you’re onto a good thing, why change it!
With Spring Racing having come and gone, I just wanted to share a couple of images from the week that was. As always the week was filled with fun, great fashion and even better company. This year I attended Derby Day and Cup Day and was lucky enough to be hosted by PACE DEVELOPMENT group during the week. I was also given the opportunity to stay at PAN PACIFIC MELBOURNE during the spring racing carnival to try out their SPRING RACING package. The hotel was the perfect escape from Flemington and acted as the best home away from home.
Anyways, here were my two race looks this year!